Moving, whether it be to a new neighborhood, city, province or country, can be alienating.
In this fast paced world we live in, sometimes we don’t make time to socialize or don’t know how to meet people to socialize with. As a result you sit night after night watching TV or spending your time on the computer.
The computer, you say, can help you meet people. Sometimes it can, but more often than not, it’s just faceless, meaningless chat-room conversation. It’s better to get outside of your home, see people face-to-face, socialize and have fun!
There are many reasons you may not get out to meet people. You’re too busy, too tired, too shy, or overwhelmed by it all. The alternative to making an effort to getting out there to meet people is to be alone.
Listed next are places and ways to meet people. All you have to do is leave your house! You have nothing to lose and so much to gain: FRIENDS! Change your attitude, be open to possibilities, relax, and have fun. Bars and nightclubs are not mentioned as there are better and preferred ways to meet people.
1. Join a health club: solves two problems; you’ll become less of a couch potato and more fit. Think of all the people you will meet. The friends you meet here will most likely be healthy, athletic and attractive. You’ll look better and feel better at the same time.
2. Take a class, any class: again a two in one tactic; you’ll learn something new and make new friends with similar interests. Conversation is easier if you have something in common.
3. Go to Museums: Many museums have special events and members only events. Become a member and meet lots of cultured people.
4. Got to sporting events: Go to sporting events of any kind; soccer, football, basketball etc. Go to professional games or college games, guaranteed to have fun.
5. Go to Flea Markets and Antique Shows: While you’re browsing the finds, you can people watch.
6. Play a Sport: Have you ever wanted to play soccer after watching a game on TV? Lots of towns have adult sport programs. Volleyball and tennis are common town recreational sports you could join.
7. Join a Book Club: Check this out at your local library. Reading books and sharing them is another great way to get to know people.
8. Join a Singles Group: Self-explanatory, there are many singles organizations out there that plan singles dances, get-aways, etc.
9. Volunteer: Help build houses for Habitat for Humanity; give out beverages at marathons, or join one of the many volunteer organizations.
10. Have a Party: Invite your friends and have them invite two friends and so on and so on.
11. Learn a craft: take craft classes at your local community center.
12. Join a Business Association: If you are a professional, join your local association. Network for your business and your personal life.
13. Go to School reunions. A great way to reconnect with your old best friend!
14. Get a dog and walk everywhere. Dogs are great people meeters!
15. Go to every party you are invited to: even if you don’t want to go…go. You never know who you’ll meet.
16. Join an Investment Club: make money and friends!
17. Travel and talk to everyone you meet. Learn about their life, culture, etc.
18. Go to seminars: lots of people go to seminars alone; great place to start a conversation.
19) Go to Wine Tastings: sometimes local restaurants have a wine-tasting night.
20. Go skiing, snowmobiling, snowboarding
21. Take a yoga, Tai Chi class: relieve tensions and meet other enlightened people.
22. Get a job. A new job is a great place to make some new relationships.
23. Join a women’s or men’s group
24. Take up acting; go to acting workshops, help create scenery.
25. Talk to everyone, everywhere. Remember, you can never have too many friends!